Beijing (AFP) – Almost half a billion dollars worth of smuggled frozen meat — some of it rotting and more than 40 years old — has been seized in China, reports said Wednesday.
More than 100,000 tonnes of chicken wings, beef and pork worth up to three billion yuan ($483 million) were seized in the nationwide crackdown, the state-run China Daily newspaper said.
“It was smelly, and I nearly threw up when I opened the door,” said an official from Hunan province, where 800 tonnes were seized.
Two gangs from the central province were among 14 busted across the country in the operation which concluded earlier this month.
A report on the official Hunan propaganda website said that the meat seized locally came from the “border area” with Vietnam, where it was “difficult to control the flow of meat”.
But the China Daily report did not specify the frozen meat’s origin and the seizures were not reported on the website of China’s General Administration of Customs.
Officials from Guangxi, a southern region bordering Vietnam, found some of the meat was “more than 40 years old”, the newspaper said.
That would mean it was originally packed and stored when the country still under the rule of Communist China’s founding father Mao Zedong, who died in 1976.
The China Daily said smugglers bought cheap meat abroad, shipped it to Hong Kong and on to Vietnam before bringing it to the mainland.
Yang Bo, deputy director of the anti-smuggling bureau in the Hunanese capital Changsha, said they would often transport the goods in ordinary vehicles, rather than refrigerated ones, to save costs.
“So the meat has often thawed out several times before reaching customers,” he added.
Poor food safety is a major concern in China, where standards are lax and scandals involving tainted products are common.
China was rocked by one of its biggest-ever food safety scandals in 2008 when the industrial chemical melamine was found to have been illegally added to dairy products, killing at least six babies and making 300,000 people ill.
Blogs I Follow
- The Effectiveness of Vietnamization
- The Vietnamization from a Vietnamese Infantryman’s Perspective
- VAUSA Scholarship
- Dr. James Reckner Passed Away.
- Open Letter to Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
- PROTESTING AND CONDEMNING THE VIETNAMESE COMMUNISTS’ GIVING AWAY THE NATIONAL LAND TO CHINA
- Request to Remove Ho Chi Minh’s Statue at the Museum of Mimasaka City
- The Depths of Hell
- The Vietnamese American Community of the USA (VAC-USA) New Leadership (2017-2020)
- Condemning the Barbarous Acts of Communist Vietnam against the People
- United Airline’s ill-treatment toward a passenger who is a Vietnamese American elder.
- The Peace Movements in South Vietnam in Mid-1960s
- Topeka Army veteran fought, ate, lived with South Vietnamese troops
- Public Statement in Regard to The Voice of Vietnamese Americans
- The VAC-USA Protests against California Senate
- Objection to Ho Chi Minh Statue in Wien, Austria
- Vietnam: End “Evil Way” Persecution of Montagnard Christians
- I’m a Democrat. Here’s how Hillary and the recount campaign leaves me feeling
- The Reason Why Donald Trump Won the Presidential Election
- Communist Vietnam Arrests Blogger in Latest Crackdown on Dissent
- Donald Trump- Lion King surrounded by a menacing pack of wolves
- In Vietnam, telling the truth is criminal ‘propaganda’
- Many Vietnamese-Americans Face Difficult Choice at Polls
- Communist China Accused of Harvesting Human Organs
- HCMC Authorities Seize Lien Tri Pagoda, Evicting Monks despite Strong Protest
- Vietnam, the biggest hub for illegal rhino horn trafficking, has done little to stop it
- Detained for defending human rights in Viet Nam
- Ending Torture of Prisoners of Conscience in Vietnam
- How Hanoi Buys Influence in Washington, D.C.
- Obama’s Vietnam “Legacy” Trip: A Reality Check
- May 2019
- November 2018
- June 2018
- December 2017
- October 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- November 2016
- October 2016
- September 2016
- July 2016
- May 2016
- April 2016
- March 2016
- February 2016
- January 2016
- October 2015
- September 2015
- August 2015
- July 2015
- June 2015
- May 2015
- April 2015
- March 2015
- February 2015
- January 2015
- 36,707 hits
Blogs I Follow