CỘNG ĐỒNG NGƯỜI VIỆT QUỐC GIA HOA KỲ
The Vietnamese American Community of the USA
P.O. Box 1052, Round Rock, Texas 78680-1052
Email : email@example.com
Website: http://www.congdongnvqghoaky.org, http://www.congdongnvqghoaky.org/vn/
From: Concerned Vietnamese Americans in the USA
To: – Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR)
Palais des Nations, CH-1211 Geneva 10, Switzerland.
– US Congress Tom Lantos Human Rights Commission, House Committee on Foreign Affairs, 2170 Rayburn House Office Building, Washington, D.C. 20515
– The US State Department – Bureau of Human Rights. 2201 C Street NW
Washington, DC 20520
– The European Union Parliament. Bât. Altiero Spinelli, 60 rue Wiertz / Wiertzstraat 60 B-1047 – Bruxelles/Brussels, Belgium
– Human Right Watch, 350 Fifth Avenue, 34th floor, New York, NY 10118-3299 USA
Petition to Condemn Vietnam for its Violation of Human Rights
And Demand Vietnam to Release All Prisoners of Conscience
Dear Sirs and Madams,
Since the birth of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam in 1954 (then Democratic Republic of Vietnam), the Vietnamese Communist Party has established an absolute dictatorship to abuse and oppress the people for its privileges and power. In his speech to declare the independence regained from the Japanese occupation in September 1945, Mr. Ho Chi Minh adopted the concept of human rights from the United States Declaration of Independence and the French Declaration of the Rights of Man and of the Citizen. But in reality, for decades, Vietnam has been one of the worst countries where human rights and civil rights were constantly violated.
To repay the generous military assistance during the Vietnam War, today, Communist Vietnam has conceded thousands of square kilometers of border land and sea to China and gave up to Chinese invasion in many aspects of life in Vietnam.
Not only losing their human rights, Vietnamese people even cannot express their patriotic voice. Anyone who gathered to protest against Chinese invasion would be prosecuted as criminal and receive long term sentence by the Communist kangaroo court.
Just recently, on May 16, 2013, the Long An Criminal Court sentenced two young students Nguyen Phuong Uyên and Dinh Nguyên Kha 6 and 10 years in prison, respectively. Moreover, the government controlled media leads a campaign to insult the young patriots as rotten apples.
What the two young folks have done is to struggle for freedom and human rights that are guaranteed by Article 19 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, to which Vietnam is a signatory and has committed itself. Only in Vietnam, the voice to protect the sovereign of the motherland is considered criminal act against the regime. In the past years, scores of Vietnamese patriots were harassed, arrested, and imprisoned for the similar causes. They are, to us, prisoners of conscience in Communist Vietnam.
We, The Vietnamese Community of the United States of America
1. Strongly condemn the Communist Vietnam for its evil acts against its citizens as described above.
2. Express our deepest sympathy and strong support to those who have been struggling for Freedom and Human Rights in Vietnam.
3. Request the International Community, by all possible means, to pressure Vietnamese authorities to unconditionally release all prisoners of conscience and to comply with the International Human Rights Codes they have adopted.
4. Request the United States Congress to put Vietnam in the list of countries that constantly violate the Human Rights. Until Vietnam improves its status, there would be no economic assistance from the USA.
Thank you very much
Yours, very truly.
USA, May 20, 2013
Mr. Tien Ngoc Nguyen, Chairman of the Representative Board
Ms. Thu Lan Huynh, Chairwoman of the Executive Board
Mr. Tan Van Nguyen, Chairman of the Supervisory Board.